Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ready? Fire?

O.K., acid test time. Oil? check. Oil in rotrex? check. Fuel? check. Coolant? Not yet...but only a test fire....

Key on. Lights on. Kill switch on. Weird. No sound from the fuel pump. Flashing "low fuel" light. In neutral. Hit the starter. Motor turns over, doesn't fire. Again. Nope. 

GRRRR.

Not good. Can't figure it out in my groggy state. No error codes when I check dealer mode, the bike will prime the lines and run if I jumper in 12v direct to the fuel pump connector.

Fuel pressure about 42psi according to my tester. Won't hold residual pressure in lines.

Multimeter everything. The fuel pump is supposed to turn on with the key, run for 3-4 seconds to prime the lines, then shut off until the bike starts. So, the voltage should be battery voltage for those four seconds, followed by 0. I'm getting constant battery voltage at the pump. Not enough amperage to run the pump, though.

Put the old pump back in, same problem. Put the new pump back again, same issue.

After messing with the fuses, the relays, unplugging and replugging every connection I could touch, I was getting frustrated.

Then, the flashing low fuel light started triggering my thoughts. There was plenty of gas. What about a defective sensor? Did I break it in my multiple removals?
I went looking for low fuel sensor voltages in the manual. HMMM.

I'd inadvertently attached the low fuel sensor lead to the positive fuel pump lead. Replaced them, bolted it up, fixed. Pump primes as it should.

Hit the starter. It Lives!!!!!

Maybe I should wear a helmet everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment